Historic Resources ➤ Industry ➤ Alvin Burton Brick Co.
Alvin Burton Brick Company
Alvin Burton was born in Vermont in 1814. The 1850 Brighton Census lists Alvin as a Brick maker @ age 36. We believe Alvin arrived in Brighton NY with Jason Baker his brother-in-law, in 1842 @ age 28. We believe that he had a knowledge of brick making because the area in New York state that he lived was a brick making center. He established his own Brick Yard with the help of his brother-in law, Jason Baker. We have found no record or testimony to document the date for his formation of a Brick Yard. The only newspaper reference found was the the following which appeared in the Newspaper Index Book for “B,” &jellip;located @ the Rochester Public Library.
“Rochester Daily Democrat” (RDD) May 18, 1847 page 2, Column 7
Baker & Burton Brick Manufactures in City show successful”
But we could not find article on Micro-Film. Were Burton & Baker in business together in 1847…?
After the sale of the three brick yards on Monroe Avenue, Cobb, Burton & Wilson, to form the Rochester Brick and Tile Company Alvin leaves Brighton for he is recorded in the 1860 US Census…Town of Princeton: Illinois, County Bureau -“Burton, Alvin, age 45, male, occupation: Brickmaker.” This note gives support to the story that Alvin was the true Brickmaker with the organization of Burton & Baker.
We have speculated that Jason Baker was an investor in the Brick Yards of Brighton and not a Brick Yard operator, or one who fired the kilns, was associated with Cobb and Burton, and had political ambitions, Brighton Town Supervisor and Treasurer of the City of Rochester. Jason Baker was a very active man.
Access to the above article “Baker & Burton Brick Manufactures in City show successful” may have provided some details as to depth of the involvement of Burton and Baker.
Location of Alvin Burton Brickyard
The Brighton section of “Brown’s” 1852 Monroe County Map shown above located the three Brick Yards that were organized into the Rochester Brick & Tile Company one year later in 1853 under the direction of William Otis. This map indicates that the Burton Brick Yard was located directly between that of Cobb and Wilson Brick Yard on the now Monroe Avenue.